Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Visit to China

So I traveled to mainland China for the first time last weekend. We went to Shenzhen, which is right across the border from Hong Kong, so we took the metro there. Shenzhen is pretty small. It only really has 3 things of interest for non-locals: 1) the really cheap fake stuff 2) tailor made suits for cheap 3) the Queen Spa. I got some movies that haven't been released yet, and they are great quality (I'm about to buy the Office season 5 next!). I also got a tailored suit made for only about US$45. We'll see if it is good quality or not, but it was worth a try! Going through the mall with all the fake stuff was so intense. I traveled with mostly North Americans and Europeans, so we were targets for getting ripped off. People would come up, grab my arm, and say "You want DVD? Prada purse? Watch? Gucci Shoes?" After a few hours it was just too much to handle. I just wanted to wear a sign that said "NO, I don't want to buy anything!!!"

We originally made reservations at the cheapest place we could find (which in China means it is REALLY sketchy), but then we found out about a deal that the Queen Spa gives. Basically if you spend over US$35 at the spa, you can get their "24-hour package." This package includes a place to sleep, free fruit/ice cream/juice bars, and all their other amenities. It was AMAZING. I got a massage which put me at about $40, so I was able to spend the night there. There were also these recliner chairs with individual TVs, and you could get a massage while you watched TV. Ha...oh the age we live in. But it was a lot of fun and a nice break from the crappy dorms we are living in in Hong Kong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers