Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Tourist in Hong Kong Again

After about a month an a half of living the life of a "local" here in HK, I realized that there are still some touristy things I have not done. Before, I was refusing to carry around my "Top Things To Do in HK" books because I wanted everyone to recognize me as a HK resident. I prided myself in entering the HK residents line at customs, and I loved shocking people in the places I travelled by telling them I am from Hong Kong (I got better bargaining deals after I said that rather than America...ha). But I finally let go of my pride, pulled out my HK tourist books again, and started my exploration of some new places in the city.
First, I traveled out to the 10,000 Buddhas Monastery, and climbed 450ish steps to see all the Buddhas lining the stair cases. Each Buddha has a different pose, and there are SO many. My favorite one was the one that looked like me ;). (see picture)
On my way back from the 10,000 Buddhas I stopped off at the market by the bus stop I always go to. I saw many things I wished I hadn't. Right there...next to the delicious produce I eat every day (!!!)...was the skin off of a pigs face, and freshly cut-off pig's legs. Here are pictures for your enjoyment (or disgust).
I have also gone to karaoke...finally! I have been living in Asia for close to 10 weeks now, and I haven't been to karaoke until now...a travesty. Anyway, we went with a group of like 25 people, so it was a lot of fun. We sang everything from Avril to Whitney Houston to Blink 182 to rando Chinese songs. It was great fun, and everyone knows how I love good songs and a microphone!

Lastly, I went to a Tai Chi class on the Harbor of Hong Kong (at Tsim Sha Tsui) very early in the morning...I had to leave at 6:30am. It was early, but worth it because we got beautiful view of the Hong Kong skyline at dawn. The Hong Kong Tourism Board puts the class on so that tourists can learn more about HK culture. If you go around town in the morning you can see many old women doing Tai Chi outside. Anyway, the class was great...I channeled my energy and got some good exercise, I guess. The class was taught by a renowned Tai Chi teacher. He was so small and so cute! He and his co-instructor were quite old, but in great shape and mental condition. Maybe there is something to Tai Chi?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers